Author Topic: Flynn, Deignan, Early - Leitrim to Worcester  (Read 5152 times)

EPB2020

• Just Moved Here
Flynn, Deignan, Early - Leitrim to Worcester
« on: April 26, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »
You have all been so helpful in the matter of Michael Kane, that I thought I would try again and see what you might add to what I already know. 

I am searching for the families of a group of siblings who emigrated in about the 1898-1915 time frame from Leitrim, Ire to Worcester.  I believe that their father was Thomas Flynn (b. about 1843) who was a farmer living at Moheracreevy townland, near Drumshanbo, Leitrim.  Their mother was Mary Barry.  Based upon the information contained in a series of handwritten lists that I have been given by various relatives over the years, Thomas Flynn's parents were Owen Flynn and Mary Brewin. Mary Brewin's parents were Brian Brewin and Kitty McPartland. 

I know of three aunts for the group that also emigrated in the 1860-1865 time frame - Mary Flynn Casserly of Spencer, Maggie Flynn Lee of Worcester, Hartford and Spencer and Kate Flynn Quarters of Lynn, Ma.   I know quite a bit about their great aunts and great uncles, but not about any other aunts or uncles of this group.

Through familysearch, I found Elizabeth Flynn b. April 1, 1880 who married Francis J. Deignan in Worcester.  She is the only  one of this group whose first name is on any of my lists.  In the 1901 census for Leitrim, Thomas and Mary Flynn had six children still at home - Owen (24), Thomas (19), Maggie (17), Michael (15), Bernard (12) and Joseph (10).  I found that in September, 1914, Thomas arrived in Boston on the Laconia.  Also on that ship was his sister, Kate (married to  Luke Early), Luke Early (age 2) and niece May Deignan (age 11).  Through the draft records, it seems that Michael, Bernard and Joseph also came to Worcester.  I don't know about Maggie or Owen. 

A descendant of Maggie Flynn Lee who went to Moheracreevy in the 1970-80's told me that none of her Flynn's were left there at that time.  She did not know anything about this particular branch of the family. (She also had a family list to add to my collection)   She told me that her grandmother's brother was a bricklayer in Hartford so I was looking in Hartford for years!!!!   I found some information that when Kate Flynn Quarters died in 1911, the descendant's mother was the primary beneficiary under the will.  There was a family fight about the inheritance and Thomas (from Drumshanbo) sought to contest Kate's will but withdrew his petition in the Essex County Probate Court.  His lawyer was from Worcester.  This may explain why she doesn't know about them.

If any of you know anything of this group of siblings or their descendants or maybe even know them as they might still live in the Worcester area, I would really appreciate any information you could pass on.   I found some obituaries through genealogybank that appear to be descendants of this group, but I can't be sure.

Thank you. 

EPB2020

• Just Moved Here
Re: Flynn, Deignan, Early - Leitrim to Worcester
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:42:09 AM »
Thank you so much.  There is always more to learn.

One of my lists says that Mary Casserly's children were: John, Thomas, Mary, Annie, Joseph, Margaret, Bernie and Katherine.  Another says that Mary Casserly (dau) married Charles McCarthy, Ann m. John Cummings - Thomas and Bernard never married.

I found Annie and John Cummings later in Springfield, Ma.  Margaret lived in Springfield with her husband Edwin Faulkner and had two children - Donald and Mona Kathleen (later M. Margaret "Peg").  She died in Worcester State hospital.  Donald and Mona lived with the McCarthy's in 1910. 

Kate Quarters is hard to find - in 1880 - listed in Lynn as Quartiers.  In 1900 - listed as Masters in Lynn. Niece Jennie Lee is living with her then.  She had no children but I noticed an item about name changes in Massachusetts - A Nellie Flynn in Essex County being adopted and name change to Nellie Flynn Quarters. This was in Lynn.  I have never figured that out.

By chance after posting yesterday, I noticed a blog with a mention about the McCarthy's of North Brookfield posted last June. 
http://208.112.77.53/town_portal_includes/display_blog.cfm?TOWN=North%20Brookfield&id=23707 - these are also cousins of the original group I wrote about.  I knew that they lived in North Brookfield but this rounded them out into real people.

I also just found another online genealogy that discusses some of these McCarthys but am not sure how they fit into that author's tree.  http://aronoff.com/family/i0015297.htm

I agree with you that Michael does not just fit.  I took another look at the draft records and now am not so sure he ever came over.  I think that there may have been two Michael Flynn's in Worcester about his age - one from Inch, Ireland the other from Tipperary.   

I did see the article about the fire in the barn - thanks.   I think that the Casserlys lived in Spencer near a manufacturer named Prouty.  I think I found their niece, Katie Flynn, as a servant to Jason W. Prouty in Spencer in 1900, but of course, I can't be sure.

EPB